Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ropes and Pearls

I've always wanted to make a layered bracelet with different textured strands, but I didn't want to have to wear a million different bracelets to get the look. So, I went into my treasure chest of jewelry making things and came up with: a leather cord, pearls and gold seed beads. 


The colors compliment each other nicely, so then I went to work.



It took me a while to figure out the look I wanted, and much restringing. I tried braiding the strands, which came out pretty cool, but much shorter than I expected, so it was back to the drawing board with me. I moved things around, re-sized  cut, sighed in frustration and then viola! I came up with something I liked. 



The look is random and that completely satisfied my creative mind. Symmetry is nice, but not always necessary. With this piece, it could be used as a necklace, though it was made to hang crazily around your wrist. It connects with a magnet (shown above) so that its a cinch to get on and off and it completely compliments natural tones. 
The pearls are classy, but the leather suggest an adventurous side.



The cool thing about this piece is that every time I put it on, it looks slightly different. 
I also tried to make it with hemp instead of leather and it looks fantastic! I bet you could also make something like this with thin ribbon or cord. 
Anyway, let your imagination run wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment