Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A little Bit of Organization Goes a Long Way!

So, as I posted before, my roommate Wendy and I just moved into a cute 2 bedroom apartment. 
Well, it just so happens that we are both movieholics and before I moved I counted that I had over 200 movies! 
As you can imagine, that's a lot of space taken up at the entertainment center. I also was running low on moving boxes and so, I knew that something had to be done with all those lovely movies. 
I saw a picture of an ingenious idea to create less bulk of movies, without sticking them in a binder. 
Sleeves! 
I don't know why I didn't think of it before. 
But, being the crazy crafter that I am, I couldn't just do it the simple way...No, I took CD sleeves to a whole new level.

Project DVD Debulk!


Step One: Take all your DVDs and cut them up. This was rather painful at first for me. But in the end, it was liberating! I cut the cover to fit the sleeve so that I could have a nice visual of the movie I was about to watch.
I also cut the back description of the movie and glued it on the back of the sleeve. 
Essentially, I wanted all the convenience of a DVD case without the bulk.
After all of that (this took me a while...200 DVDs!)


Step Two: Create DVD dividers. I decided to organize my DVDs alphabetically (at least by letter. I am too lazy to actually alphabetize the entire thing). I put all the A titled movies with the A's. B's with B's and so on.
I found some cute scrapbook paper and added a fun little letter in the corner.
(Be sure to make the divider larger than the sleeves)


Step Three: Find a cute basket. Mine matches my dividers very well. (Gotta love Black)
I put all of it together and...


TADA! This fits so nicely on the shelf of my entertainment center and I still have all my DVDs!
They are easy to look through and easy to resort.
All of my DVDs didn't even take up the space of an entire moving box! WIN!

(I wouldn't recommend chopping up your DVDs if you ever plan on selling them. I, on the other hand, only plan to collect even more!)

Let's here your thoughts :)

1 comment: