Sunday, March 22, 2015

Quotes Worth Hanging On The Wall

I've got another DIY home decor project for you!
I've been seeing fun ideas for DIY canvas quotes for your home and I thought that was perfect for the super secret sister project I'm working on. 
Have you seen the prices on some of those canvas quotes in the stores?
Yeesh.

Don't buy it when you could just make your own!



What you'll need:
Canvas (Whatever size and thickness you'd like)
Paint
Paintbrushes
Ribbon (For flat canvas')
Glue (For flat canvas')
Scissors (For flat canvas')
An inspiring, amazing, awesome quote!





STEP ONE:
Paint the background.
Painting the background of these canvas' was simple. 
First, I painted them a solid color (for example blue)
Then I put dabs of darker blue and white paint in various places on the canvas.
With my paintbrush, I swirled the colors around until it created an effect that I enjoyed.
That's just one idea, you can paint the background anything you like.
Solid colors are great also, very bold.










STEP TWO:
Write the Quote.
This may be tricky when you don't have any ideas for fun fonts.
I simply Googled "fonts" and copied those that I liked.
Don't be afraid to take your time on this step. 
I used a lite pencil first on the canvas to make sure I could fit everything, and then painted it.
Don't be afraid to have fun!
My quotes are all colorful because they are meant to go in a teen room, again, let your creativity lead you while designing your quote canvas.

Many of you will be done at this point.
Congrats! Hang it with pride.

However, if you're like me and bought the canvas' that were on sale and are completely FLAT, then you need to figure out just how you're going to hang these things on the wall.






STEP THREE:
Prepare to hang.
Like I said before, my canvas' were completely flat! How do you hang that on a wall?
Here's one idea.

 


(This is where your ribbon, glue and scissors come into play!)









Measure your ribbon to be the length of the canvas and cut it.



Grab your glue and apply to both ends of your ribbon.



Stick the glued ribbon to the back of your canvas, as if it were a handle to your purse.






TIP!
Glue at a slight angle.
When you hang your canvas, the ribbon will sometimes pucker if you glue it straight, so I suggest gluing your ribbons at a slight angle.
Trust me ;)
You can even test your ribbon angle by acting as if your finger is a nail and gently pulling on the ribbon before the glue dries.
Make sure to leave the canvas laying on something, you don't actually want to pull the ribbon off, you just want to adjust it!


AND YOU'RE DONE!
Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Imagine all the places you could decorate with some fun quotes!
And even better, you can make every one of them unique!
I LOVE IT.

I'd love to see some of your projects or hear from you if you have any other tips on how to hang flat canvas'.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment