Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Light-switch Makeover Tutorial

I was rummaging through some of my old junk and found a light-switch plate that I had been meaning to do something with ages ago.
I figured it was time for another tutorial and what better way to spruce up your room than to add a little color in an unexpected place!


For this project you will need:
A Light-switch plate
Scrapbook Paper
Modge Podge
Powerful Glue
Scissors
Pencil
Gems
Random Jewelry Pieces
Rhinestones
Hoops
Chain
What ever else your little heart desires


I found a lot of random jewelry pieces, some beautiful jeweled chain by Blue Moon Beads and some scrapbooking fasteners that I forgot I had. 
This is where you can have some fun! 
I chose to do mine in Black, Silver and Purple because those were the colors of my room. Essentially, you can do any color you fancy!
(It's not important to have a black light-plate. You can have any kind you want)


STEP ONE:
Trace the Light-switch plate on the back of your scrapbook paper. 
Don't forget to trace the hole where the actual light switch goes ;)
And then cut it out! Be sure to leave a little extra space on the sides to curl the paper over the back to make a smooth finish.

(Tip: I used my pencil head to poke small holes in the paper for the screws. It also helps you keep your spacing on track)




STEP TWO:




Before you glue the paper on the light-switch plate, use the flat scrapbook paper to plan out your design. You can try as many variations as you'd like until you have something that you love.

(My finished product had to be adjusted after I began gluing. Keep this in mind)













STEP THREE:
Now that you've chosen your design, carefully set it up on a paper to the side.
Time to bust out your Modge Podge and paint it all over the light-plate.
When done, carefully smooth your scrapbook paper over the glue, being sure to glue the edges, which will want to pop back up.

Modge Podge over the top to give it a nice glossy shine.



STEP FOUR:


When the glue dries, grab out your craft glue, I used E600 (my glue of choice for most of my projects), and start gluing on your design.
Spacing may have changed now that it's shaped to the light-plate, so you will have to adjust your design to fit.
If you look at my original design and my finished product, it's a bit different.
I had to move some things around to make sure that the screws could still get through.
I also happened upon a bunch of black Rhinestones and went to town!
Make sure to glue everything down firmly.
If you have little strings of glue, wait until everything is dry to try to get rid of them.



Viola! You have just created a masterpiece and the best thing is that it's completely unique! 


After everything is dry, screw it into the wall and admire from many angles. Mine fits my personality perfectly! I'm all over the place haha

Hope that inspires some of you to try something new and be a little wild with your creativity.
I'd love to hear about your projects and for what rooms in the house you decided to do this on.

Let your creativity soar!


No comments:

Post a Comment